Tips for Changing your Name after Marriage

Tips for Changing your Name after Marriage

Posted by Georgina Bennett on 8th Jun 2015

Are you changing your surname after getting married? There are a few choices. You can:

1. Retain you existing maiden name

2. Use your spouse’s surname

3. Adopt a combination of surnames, with or without a hyphen.

Whichever option you choose, think long and hard about it to make the best decision for you. If changing your name, be prepared for some time consuming work when changing your name with various organisations. It might be a long and boring job, but it is also an exciting part of starting your married life together.

When changing your name, you will need an official marriage certificate. Many organisations will not accept the ceremonial certificate given from your celebrant or minister of religion. Therefore it is important to apply to get your marriage certificate. Also, if you are married overseas, you may need to apply to change your name if organisations do not accept an overseas marriage certificate.

Here is a great list of people and organisations to inform about your name change to get you started:



Drivers Licence


Banks – don’t forget all accounts, savings, cheque, credit cards, loans, term deposits, ATM cards


Utility Bills – electricity, gas, phone (house and mobile), internet, water, rates



Various insurance companies – car, house & contents, life, health


Tax Office

Electoral Roll


White pages

Memberships – sports, clubs

Email and website subscriptions

Other subscriptions – magazine, movies

Store cards

Service providers – hairdresser, beautician, accountant, mechanic, car breakdown services, vet

Blue Card

One thing to keep in mind when making your honeymoon reservations, is to keep that in your maiden name. You would not have changed any of your identification by then, and you may need ID to match any tickets or bookings.

Changing your Name after Marriage